How will the ongoing construction affect my child’s school day?

The construction at MacArthur is to install a new HVAC system as well as replace the windows and lighting.  Although it is an extensive project estimated to last 3 years, all measures have been taken to ensure that there will be no disruption of the academic environment.  For example, any loud or otherwise disruptive construction will occur outside of the  school day.  In addition, areas under construction will be clearly marked and access to them will be restricted.  So by and large, your child will probably be unaware that construction is occurring.

What do I need to obtain an access badge to Fort Meade?

Applicants are required to provide two forms of identity source documents in original form.
Download list of acceptable Identity documents

You must also complete a Fort George G. Meade Installation Access Request form

Where will my child go to high school?

A. The majority of MacArthur Middle School students attend Meade High School, which offers students the opportunity to apply to the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme if they’d like to continue what they’ve learned in the MYP.

How do students know all the school rules and expectations?

A. Students attend programs at the beginning of the year (and/or during orientation) where staff members go over school rules and other valid information. Students’ agenda books contain the Code of Student Conduct and information from the AACPS Student Handbook and outline school expectations, uniform/dress code, transportation guidelines and other pertinent data to assist students toward a successful school year.

How can students get help if they have a problem?

A. There are four, full-time counselors to assist students with academic and personal concerns. Additionally, the assistant principals and teachers are available for assistance, as well as the school social worker, psychologist, and pupil personnel worker.

What is the MMS Uniform Policy?

A.  A committee of MMS parents designed this policy in accordance with AACPS requirements. Students are required to wear polo shirts and khaki bottoms (may choose shorts, capris, skirts/skorts, or pants). 6th graders must wear white polo style shirts; 7th graders, must wear red polo style shirts; and 8th graders must wear navy blue polo style shirts. Shoes must cover the toes. Students may wear solid colored sweaters or sweatshirts without hoods, with or without the MMS logo. “Hoodies” are not permitted. Jackets and coats may not be worn in class and must be kept in lockers. MMS sweatshirts and jackets can be purchased directly from our PTSA. For more information about our uniform policy,  click here: Uniform Policy 2016-2017.

What activities does MMS offer?

A. Per IB, we wish to foster well rounded, balanced young people. With this being said, all students are encouraged to participate in MMS after school clubs and activities. Students may switch or join most clubs and activities throughout the school year. Regularly offered activities include: Student Government, National Junior Honor Society, Newspaper, Chess, Yearbook, Intramurals, Band, Strings, Drama. Percussion, Dance and Chorus. Activities are held after school  Activity buses transport students home and will depart the school at 4:10 p.m.

What world languages are taught?

A. Chinese, French and Spanish

What high school classes does MMS offer?

A. There are many advanced classes including world languages, Algebra, and Geometry. Since these are high school classes, students have the ability to earn high school credits. Students must meet certian requirements in those classes in order to receive full credit.

How do I apply to the IB MYP?

A. Since we are a magnet school, out-of-area students must submit an application. The application can be found on the AACPS website, or on the MMS homepage under the IB MYP link. The application is also available in the guidance department of MMS. Along with the application, the 4th grade final report card and the test data card is needed. Students must also respond to the two writing prompts that are found on the application. The application can be sent to the IB MYP Office at the AACPS Board of Education.

What is the IB Middle Years Programme (MYP)?

A. The International Baccalaureate (IB) Middle Years Programme (IB MYP) is a program of international education designed to help students develop the knowledge, understanding, attitudes and skills necessary to participate actively and responsibly in a changing world. For more information, click here to visit the IB website.

How many students are enrolled?

 A. We average around 1200-1300 students, but because the population we serve is highly transient, our total enrollment fluctuates from month to month.

Can I come in and “shadow” my child for the day?

A. Of course! MMS offers an open-door policy. The more parents are involved, the better! Arrive and check in at the front office. The secretary on duty will print out your child’s schedule and you can be on your way to shadow your young scholar for the day.  We discourage parents from coming in only during their child’s lunch and especially from bringing extra treats during that time.  This tends to dramatically disrupt the lunch time routines administrators have taken great care to establish. 

I’d like to have a meeting with my child’s teachers. How can I arrange to meet with teachers at MMS?

A. Your son or daughter is assigned to a team of teachers. Call the school or email the team leader to schedule a conference. If you don’t know the leader of the team to which your child is assigned, you may email or call any of your child’s teachers to schedule a conference. Email addresses can be found on the syllabi that go home at the beginning of each school year in every subject area, or on the MMS website. You may also call the school to leave a message for one of your child’s teachers.

How do I enroll my child at MacArthur Middle School?
How do I enroll my child at MacArthur Middle School?
Please follow the following rules to ensure a smooth transition to MacArthur Middle:

  1. Contact the guidance secretary at 410-674-0032 for an appointment. The appointment must be made by the custodial parent.
  2. On the day of the appointment the custodial parent and child must be present for the enrollment process. You should arrive at least 15 minutes prior to their appoint to complete enrollment material.
  3. One photo ID
  4. Social Security Card
  5. Your child must be withdrawn from their last school before they can be enrolled at MacArthur Middle School.
  6. Upon arrival for your appointment you must have all the required documents and be the custodial/legal parent to enroll the child.
Documents Required for Enrolling your Student

 If any of these documents are missing we will not be able to enroll the student.

  1. Immunization Record ( Shot Record) Title: Immunizations of Students Policy Code: 904.06Cross Reference:A. be adopted in compliance with the Administrative Procedure Act; andIII. Unless the Secretary of Health and Mental Hygiene declares an emergency or an epidemic of disease, a child whose parent or guardian objects to immunization on the ground that it conflicts with the parent’s or guardian’s bona fide religious beliefs and practices may not be required to present a certification of immunization from a physician in order to be admitted to school. All exceptions to immunizations must be noted on the Maryland Immunization Certificate.
  2. Child’s Birth Certificate
  3. Child’s most recent Report Card
  4. 2 forms of Proof Of residency: one must be a copy of the apartment lease agreement or mortgage papers or the tenant verification form. The other can be any of the following:
  5. B. provide that any child may have the immunization administered by a personal physician.
    II. Any requirement for the administration of pertussis vaccine shall be consistent with 18-332(b) of the Health-General Article.
  6. Adopted: Revised: (5-20-91) Page: 1
    I. Maryland Education Law provides that, in cooperation with the Maryland State Board of Education and the Medical and Chirurgical faculty of Maryland, the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene shall adopt rules and regulations regarding the immunizations required of children entering schools. These rules and regulations shall:
  • Utility bill/telephone/cable, etc.
  • Current bank statement
  • W-2 form
  • Passport Property tax/income tax notice
  • Voter Registration

If these apply to your child you MUST also bring these documents:

(IEP) Individualized Educational Plan
504 Plan
(BIP) Behavioral Intervention Plan
Custody Papers

Questions? Call Guidance at 410-674-0032

or email Ms. White, the Couseling secretary, at SRWHITE1@AACPS.ORG Immunization Information


According to Maryland (COMAR) regulations for the 2008-2009 school year, all students enrolled in preschool through twelfth grade must be in compliance with minimum vaccine requirements to enter school (See inset Vaccine Requirements Chart below).  Additional immunizations may be recommended by your health care provider for good preventive health.

In addition, foreign-born students must present documentation of a tuberculin skin test (Purified Protein Derivative-PPD) administered in the U.S., before entering the Anne Arundel County Public School System.


(Per DHMH Code of Maryland Regulations {COMAR}






Polio Hib Measles Mumps Rubella Varicella Hepatitis B PCV7 (Prevnar)
24-59 months 4 3 1 1 1 1 1 3 1
60-71 months 4 3 0 2 1 1 1 3 0


Kindergarten (5 years) 4 3 0 2 1 1 1 3 0
Grades 1 to 11 (6-16 yrs) 4 or 3 if >7 years 3 0 2 1 1 1 or 2 >13 years 3 0
Grade 12 (17-18+) 3 3 0 2 1 1 0 0 0

In order for your child to meet this requirement by the time school opens in August 2008, you must bring to school a letter, note, shot record or other form from your doctor or clinic that shows the date of the above immunizations.

Below is a list of Anne Arundel County Department of Health community health centers offering immunization services by appointment or through walk-in clinics (schedule below).  The health centers are open from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.  No fee will be charged, but donations up to $10 are appreciated.

Parents should bring a copy of their child’s shot record to the health center.


Glen Burnie Health Center

 Fridays 8:30 – 11:30 a.m.

& 1:00 – 3:00 p.m.

416 A Street, S.W.

Glen Burnie, MD


Parole Health Center

Mondays 8:30 – 11:30 a.m.

Wednesdays 8:30 – 11:30 a.m.

& 1:00 – 3:00 p.m.

1950 Drew Street

Annapolis, MD


Odenton Health Center

Tuesdays 8:30 – 11:30 a.m.

& 1:00 – 3:00 p.m.

1370 Odenton Road

Odenton, MD


For more information, visit the Department of Health Web site at www.aahealth.org

PLEASE NOTE!  If the school has not received proof of required immunizations or TB skin test administered in the U.S. for foreign-born students by the beginning of next school year, YOUR CHILD WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO ENTER SCHOOL.  Please bring proof to school as soon as possible.

For more information, please call your child’s physician, your school nurse, community health center, School Health Services at 410-222-6838, or the Department of Health Immunization Services at 410-222-4896.


I just moved to the area. How can I register my child for school?

A. Contact the Guidance Secretary for an appointment at 410-674-0032. The appointment must be made by the custodial parent. You must bring the following documents with you to your enrollment appointment:

  • Child’s Birth Certificate
  • Immunization Records
  • Child’s most recent Report Card
  • 2 forms of Proof Of residency:
    1. one must be a copy of the apartment lease agreement or mortgage papers or the tenant verification form.
    2. The other can be any of the following: